Hill Giant

This is my largest model to date. I wanted to learn some new skills and I’m quite happy with how it turned out. My original vision was a giant that might go with my Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt army, so I wanted to do pale, deathly skin rather than the typical ruddy giant look. I imagined this guy living in a muddy gully with no company but corpses.

Here he is next to one of my normal-sized minis (28 mm – 32 mm scale):

The sculpt is from Loot Studios Gathering In The Swamp (Feb 2022). I wanted to try something bigger than usual so I went with 75 mm scale version.

I printed it on my Anycubic Photon Mono X using Anycubic Basic “Skin” resin. Sliced the files using Lychee 3 slicer. You can find more info on how I printed the pieces and my printer settings (and many failures in my Resin Printing Log.)

After removing the print supports and cleaning up the pieces, the first dry fit using sticky-tac had some pretty severe gaps. I really struggled to print the base without it warping and I ended up just going forward with my least messed up pieces.

I used greenstuff to fill the gaps and re-sculpt some detail in the mud and log. I also filled some gaps around the head and back and sculpted some extra rope at the shoulders to ‘tie’ it all together. Once everything was ready, I primed it in pieces for easier painting: Base, Head + Torso + Back + Legs, Left hand, Right hand. Used Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover Flat Black Primer. No pictures of these stages, but here he is with no hands.

I went for a pretty limited palette here as I wanted to keep things simple:

I’ve never tried non-metallic metal before (painting for the effect of shiny metal without using paints that have metallic pigment), and I’m pretty pleased with this first attempt. I’m most into the steel axes, chains, and edges of the shields on his back, though I worry it’s too similar to the colour of his skin. The mottled texture of the round copper shield was achieved with another new-to-me technique: stippling.

I’m less pleased with gold on the sword hilts and the copper rim on the wooden shield. I think I could have spent more time placing highlights and figuring out the right colours to achieve the NMM effect. To be honest, by the time I painted these parts I was kind of rushing to the end,

The colour blending on the two shields really worked out well; especially the cream and red one.

I also used stippling to do the skulls and I love the textured result.

I used 0.3mm layers when printing but I still had a pretty visible layer line on the loincloth. You can see the limitations of the 4K horizontal resolution on a big model like this in the “topographical map” effect on his empty hand and above on that same forearm.

I want to work on my wood textures. The club and weapon shafts wound up a little “meh”. I feel like the ropes really pop, but I could use a little more blacklining to separate the different parts of the model.

I also learned an important lesson about not handling your painted model. It got all grimy on his belly and face. It kind of worked for this mini, but it definitely added some finger-grease shine. That said, it doesn’t make me any less pumped about how his face turned out. It was my first time adding coloured irises and light glinting on the pupils (which is a lot easier on a big model like this!) The black hair with grey streaks isn’t 100% successful on close inspections, but from a distance, he looks great.

I couldn’t figure out how to mount him on a painting handle. Eventually, I painted up the base and attached him so I could let him stand untouched while I finished painting. Here you can see the footprint connection points masked with sticky-tac while I added Vallejo Environment Effects (Black Mud & Still Water & Slime), plus a ton of various grass tufts. I’m not totally pleased with the glossy result since it doesn’t look very realistic to me, but it was fun to try out some new products.

This is the first time using this photography set up with my painting lamp diffused with tracing paper and black fabric in the background. They’re the best photos I’ve taken so far, but I feel like I could improve the focus and colour consistency to better represent what the model looks like in real life. Maybe it’s time to learn some photoshop…

The final result, with a quarter for scale.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

en_USEnglish